On getting personal...

Since I went ahead and got all personal on ya’ this past weekend I figured that it might be fun to do it again. Art has always been a fundamental part of my life and because of this collecting became a natural part of my education and life. The work that I happen to own is probably a little more personal than you might anticipate. I describe my pieces as an eclectic mix where folk art makes a regular appearance. Gasp! It may be a little surprising that I happen to enjoy art that most would consider a craft. Well I do, especially when it has a great story that people can relate to. In my own home, I tend to favor collecting things with a Latin American flavor that reminds me of my childhood. Here are a few of my pieces; I hope that you like them. I figured that a short description/explanation might be helpful so I went ahead and added that as well. ;)

This is one of my highwaymen folk art pieces that was painted by one of R.L. Lewis. I actually purchased this piece from the artist and he wrote an endearing and lovely message on the back. I display it so that if you're standing in my kitchen you can read the inscription. Every time I read his note it makes me smile. The scene itself is uniquely Floridian and so nostalgic. The frame is original and made by the artist from random baseboard scrap wood.


This piece is more edgy and has frequently become the topic of conversation during dinners at my house (there happen to be a couple of naked people scattered amongst the figures). Cut-Out Army, by Carlos Betancourt was a print that represented the enormous installation that Betancourt created for Art Basel, Miami. This print lead to my fascination with the work of the artist and eventually helped me to meet him. That, and it reminds me of the excitement, vibrancy, and colorfulness that some of the more cosmopolitan regions of Florida enjoy.


Both of these prints are by Javier Marin. Marin is most famous for his sculptures but I happen to believe his prints are absolutely stunning. Both are untitled, but I can't help but think that there has to be some sort of Catholic reference. The anatomy is exceptionally interesting, reminiscent of Michelangelo. The woman's body is structured similarly to the male's, you can probably guess what that infers. A detail is pictured below the image with the sofa.





I had to throw this image in as well. Mainly because I Love, Love, Love this chair! True, it's completely uncomfortable and not particularly functional, BUT it was designed by Harry Bertoia who was a student of Brancusi. The chair is so sculptural, and I love how it interacts with the space around it. Plus, it was probably the best Valentine's Day gift that I have ever gotten.

I framed that print that I bought from 20x200 Gallery by Mike Monteiro and here's the proof! Now it rests above my cabinets as a constant reminder of all of the fabulous times that are just around the corner. Do you like how I spun that message? Lol. I frequently read it while taking deep breaths and drinking coffee in the morning.

Yet another piece of folk art. I actually don't know who the craftsman was for this one, but it combines two of my favorite things: skulls and flowers. The piece is actually meant to be used as a Dia de Los Muertos decoration but to me is has such a kitschy, postmodern, pop art aesthetic. It's actually supposed to be a candle holder but I've put it in an alcove of my wall so that it looks like some sort of bizarre idol. Who doesn't love a day that incorporates candy, spirits, AND skulls, needless to say, I've always had a fascination with the Day of the Dead. I bought this on Olvera Street in Los Angeles, which, incidentally happens to be where I was born.


0 comments: