Flat File Gallery //

As I was getting my fix of the Urban Jacksonville about a week ago I ran across an article about a new gallery that was opening in Five Points called Flat File. Located in the theatre that has become a local landmark, Flat File is dedicated to something that I find irresistible: good, affordable, and accessible art. After listening to the interview I became immediately intrigued. During the interview Chris and Calder Yates pointedly remarked that they wanted the space to be warm and inviting to both long-time and new collectors. That sentiment made me interested since many of my friends always complain that museums and galleries make them feel intimidated. With that, I immediately made a point of grabbing my tough, “I’m not a beach girl” shoes, filled the car with gas for my journey across town, and emailed Calder Yates so that I could scout out the work at the soft opening.
The opening was a lot like I expected; small space, a lot of people who seemed to know the owners personally and densely hung walls of photographs. The experience was a little different from the openings that I usually go to, but I was met with welcoming smiles and people who were cheerful and excited. It was nice.

I brought a friend of mine that consistently avoids going to openings with me, one who, I believe, has a sensibility for nuance and detail in visual art. I thought it was absolutely fabulous to see her take an interest in the work and not hesitate to engage Calder Yates about his and his father’s pieces. I think she even found a few that will fit in nicely in the new home that she’s buying. After leaving she even remarked that the entire experience was completely different from what she had anticipated. Now I think I may be able to convince her to attend a few more openings in the future.


Flat File will specialize in photography and sell prints for $20 per piece. They will be in editions of somewhere between 50 and 100. Although this is a higher number of editions than I typically prefer, I think that the gallery will really fulfill a certain niche demand and help to expose art to new possible collectors. Plus it didn’t hurt that the work was actually good. I was attracted to some of the photographs of Calder’s that portrayed eerie interiors complete with oddly placed animal skulls or skeletal fragments. The imagery was plainly ominous and the color scheme was reminiscent of the Night Café by Van Gogh, a painting that most art historians site as evidence that Van Gogh was clearly insane. That’s not to say that Calder Yates is insane, or at least I hope not, since I’m rooting for this new gallery. And, if it’s any indication how I really feel, I’m not only referring friends to the gallery, I also plan on buying a few pieces myself!

2 comments:

Matilda Anderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.